Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Kahoru Kohiruimaki -- Come On



I've been basically covering Kahoru Kohiruimaki's(小比類巻かほる) funk/R&B side from the early 90s onwards for the past several months, so I wanted to get back to her earlier pop/rock side in the late 80s. "Hold On Me", her breakthrough hit, was one example from that era. I would also like to introduce the dynamic "Come On". It was one of the standout tracks on her 5th original album, "So Real"(November 1988) as well as her 7th single which was released in September 1987.

"So Real" was one of my early purchases after arriving in Japan in 1989, and I bought it solely on the aforementioned "Hold On Me". There were a number of good tracks on it, but I also especially liked the being-invited-to-a-great-party feeling with "Come On". Written by Kohhy herself and composed by Yoshiaki Ohuchi (大内義昭)who would further collaborate with her on those future R&B songs of hers), "Come On" sounds perfect for the singer with the huge smile and the punchy style (I could probably say it would also be fine for Misato Watanabe). Those horns, especially near the end of the song, were just pumping it and the sax solo kinda reminded me of the late great Clarence Clemons.

"Come On" was used for for a Daihatsu Mira car commercial back then. It managed to peak at No. 24 for the month of October. This song on "So Real" amongst the other great tunes finally hooked me as a Kohhy fan.


Kahoru Kohiruimaki -- So Real

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.