Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, August 23, 2013

Miyuki Kajitani -- "Rashiku" Ikimasho (”らしく” いきましょ)

Nope, I didn't buy it!
Earlier today, I went to Fan Expo, the annual sci-fi/anime/pop culture convention that comes to Toronto every August. It was my 2nd time going there since coming home from Japan. I had a good time there....I was able to see a lot of the folks decked out in all sorts of costumes and I got to get my picture taken with Mr. Sulu (known as Mr. Kato in the Japanese dub) from the original "Star Trek"....George Takei himself. We even had our brief 20-second conversation totally in Japanese.


But the entry here doesn't concern Takei-san, but on another mainstay of ComiCons. As I've always said, it isn't a pop culture convention unless a Sailor Moon is walking somewhere in the hallways. And sure enough, I did come across a few of the sailor-suited dumpling heads in the Metro Convention Centre.

I'll have to make a confession here. Thanks to my anime buddy, I did enjoy watching the "Sailor Moon" series when it came out in the 90s, not especially because of the fact that the Sailor Soldiers defeated evil in the name of the moon, but because of the "I Love Lucy" humour that was liberally sprinkled in many of the episodes. Of course, Usagi-chan was the Lucille Ball of anime at the time, right down to the frequent bawling. 


However, it wasn't just the zaniness. Along with the famous theme, "Moonlight Densetsu"ムーンライト伝説), there were also a few other catchy themes over the years that it was on. One of them was "'Rashiku' Ikimasho"(Let's Do It In That Sort Of Way) by singer Miyuki Kajitani(梶谷美由紀), or as she was known for this song, Meu. The Shimane Prefecture-born singer released only 9 singles in the 90s with her contribution to "Sailor Moon" being her 3rd single in July 1995. It was used as the ending theme for the 4th season of the series, titled as "Sailor Moon SuperS".



"'Rashiku' Ikimasho" evolved into my earworm that year because of that little bit of house and R&B arrangement, and Kajitani's cute little delivery. Plus I'm also a sucker for a nice horn section. Composed by Masao Mizuno(水野雅夫) and with words by the creator of the original manga, Naoko Takeuchi(竹内直子), herself, the song peaked at No. 71 on Oricon.

I heard there may be a reboot of the series in the near future. I just hope that the Lucy humour and the catchy themes will be part of the package.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.