Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Emi Wakui -- My Lonely Goodbye Club (マイ・ロンリィ・グッバイ・クラブ)


Emi Wakui(和久井映見) was a familiar face as an actress on a lot of 90s J-Dramas such as "Imoto yo"(妹よ...My Little Sister), "Pure" and "Virgin Road". But the very first time I actually saw her was not via a weekly hour-long program but on a 3-minute-and-change music video. And yep, I actually did see her on that Japan MTV late-night broadcast. "My Lonely Goodbye Club" was her New Year's Day 1990 debut tune, the first of 13 singles she would release up to mid-1997.

She didn't exactly have the strongest vocals, but "My Lonely Goodbye Club", written by Chinfa Kan(康珍化)and composed by Toshio Kamei(亀井登志男), had a pleasant enough champagne-and-caviar urban contemporary vibe, and the music video (which unfortunately has been taken down) has the very attractive Wakui decked out to the nines for a night on the town.






2 comments:

  1. Hi J-Canuck.

    I never heard about this song and this singer, but I liked them. Her live vocals, as you pointed out, are not great, but I don't care about this. The song is nice and classy, and that's what matters. The performance where she singns in the center of a city is very nice. It matches the song well. Thanks for this nice experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Marcos.

      Yeah, I think the set for that live performance was quite good, too. I think there was just one more video for the song that I found on YouTube along with the two I had chose for the article, but even if there were a ton of "My Lonely Goodbye Club" videos there, I probably would've gone with that particular video in any case.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.