Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Sing Like Talking -- Try and Try Again

(brief excerpt)

I gotta admit that if it weren't for Chikuzen Sato's(佐藤竹善)smooth vocals, I would have thought that this song came straight from one of my American AOR compilations. "Try and Try Again" was the title track from Sing Like Talking's debut album which came out in November 1988, and Sato with fellow member and keyboardist Chiaki Fujita(藤田千章)were responsible for whipping this one up.

The song had actually been first performed at the Young Jump Song Contest in December 1986 which won the newly-named Sing Like Talking the Grand Prize. However, it would be almost another 2 years before it finally got officially recorded for release. City Pop may have been waning a bit in the latter half of the 80s but happily this band was still holding the torch. The album also has a lovely ballad, "Raining Blues".

(cover version)



2 comments:

  1. Hi, J-Canuck.

    The first Sing Like Talking song I listened to was "Friends", thanks to your post earlier in the year. Now, "Try and Try Again" showcases a more upbeat side of the band, and I liked a lot.

    I don't know how, but it seems like the vocalist just swirls through the melody in a gentle and irresistible way. And the arrangement is also very nice with my beloved 80s synths.

    This band is surely very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Marcos.

      Glad that you like Sing Like Talking. I have to say that I was very fortunate to have come across this band purely by accident. Chikuzen's voice is the key element; he's truly talented but also his and Fujita's arrangements are irresistable.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.