Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Junichi Inagaki -- P.S. Dakishimetai (P.S.抱きしめたい)


Now that I'm writing this in the 23rd hour of the day, I guess it is time to put on a nighttime ballad before I retire. It's been a while but I'm going to go with a Junichi Inagaki(稲垣潤一)song, "P.S. Dakishimetai" (P.S. I Want to Hold You).

And it's a perfect ballad for the Japanese singer who's up there with Boz Scaggs and Bobby Caldwell in terms of his AOR-ness. The intro and outro of "P.S. Dakishimetai" sound like something bracketing a typical love song by the band Chicago during the 80s. The concert video above has him sounding a tad shaky but otherwise it's a chanson d'amour that I like because I was a Chicago fan back then as well as a fan of a lot of David Foster creations in that same decade.

The song didn't come out as a single but was a new contribution on one of his early BEST albums, "Ballad Selection - P.S. Dakishimetai" from September 1986. Masao Urino(売野雅勇)was responsible for the lyrics while composer Tetsuji Hayashi(林哲司)created the music. Y'know....I should have figured out it was a Hayashi melody; this could have been covered by Omega Tribe.

I think for folks of a certain age and musical genre, the ballad would be perfect for the bride-and-groom dance at a wedding reception. Sappy? Yes, much...but hey, the Japanese (and I, for that matter) do love their sentimentalism.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.