Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

REBECCA -- MOON




I was never a REBECCA (レベッカ) fan, and, like many others, the one hit I know and like from them is “Friends” (フレンズ), which I first heard while watching Fuji TV's “Nazotoki wa Dinner no Ato de” (謎解きはディナーのあとで), a drama featuring Arashi’s () lovely Sho Sakurai (櫻井翔) as the super smart butler and the very attractive Keiko Kitagawa (北川景子) as a socialite/rookie police officer.

Besides “Friends”, I tried other songs from the band watching a video compilation of their early hits, but no other song caught my attention for real. They were ok, typical New Wave songs from the 80s, and nothing more than that.

So, last night, after writing an article about one of my all-time favourite aidoru group, Melody, I spent some time watching one of the shows they were always performing at, called “Idol on Stage” (アイドルオンステージ). Thing is, I ended up coming across a very young and aidoru-ish Ayumi Hamasaki (浜崎あゆみ) performing a song called “MOON”, and, as she hardly had any interesting song around 1995 (this was before her true debut as a J-Pop singer), I guessed it wasn’t a song from her, but one from another artist. Then, after reading that the songwriter was someone called NOKKO, I quickly discovered it was a song released as a single by REBECCA in February 1988.

“MOON” is the best I heard from REBECCA until now. For me, it’s even better than “Friends”, and that’s probably because of NOKKO’s mixture of vulnerable and strong vocals through the song. The gloomy arrangement is also quite nice with its restrained guitars followed by cold synths in the background. In my opinion, a true 80s must.

Finally, here’s the aforementioned video of Ayumi Hamasaki singing “MOON” at “Idol on Stage” (that video has unfortunately been taken down but here's another one). I must say that, although not a Hamasaki fan, I liked her vocals a lot (they weren’t flawless, but that’s a positive thing in my world), and would love to hear an studio version of it. Unfortunately, it’ll not happen.


"MOON" reached #20 on the Oricon charts. Lyrics were written by NOKKO, while music was composed by Akio Dobashi (土橋安騎夫). As for the arrangement, REBECCA was the responsible.

Source: disclegend.com

2 comments:

  1. I have never come across "Moon" by Rebecca before. It's pretty catchy and just yells the Rebecca sound. However, it was a surprise to see a very young Ayumi sing it. I don't think I've seen her with so little mascara on before. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "MOON" was quite a nice surprise, and it really sounds like REBECCA. If I was a little more accustomed with the band's sound, I could have guessed who sang just by Hamasaki's performance.

      Also, I have a thing for Hamasaki's so-called aidoru days. She even released a nice swimsuit "image video" during that time.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.