Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, June 15, 2015

Akina Nakamori -- Dreaming


I think with this entry by Akina Nakamori(中森明菜)I will have covered all of the songs on her wonderful 1985 album, "Bitter and Sweet" through the follow-up and the original article all the way back in 2012. "Dreaming" is this nice and light Latin-inflected song from the sweet B-side of the album that has Akina tripping the light fantastic on some tropical island with her beau over cocktails and dancing. Written by Nobu Saito(斎藤ノヴ)and composed by Yoshiko(与詞古), it makes for a refreshing little musical respite after the racing "Unsteady Love" and just before a night in Tokyo with "Koibito no Iru Jikan"(恋人のいる時間).


One interesting thing about the composer. When I first came across the kanji for it, I couldn't quite read it so I wondered if it was some sort of fancy Japanese pseudonym. As it turned out, I took a look through the Net and saw a number of pages in which it was proposed that the composer for "Dreaming" was none other than the late Yoshiko Tanaka(田中好子)from 70s aidoru group Candies(キャンディーズ). However, it seems like that supposition is apocryphal, but I still don't know who this mystery songwriter is. I did wonder if it was Yoshiko Miura(三浦徳子)but she is a lyricist by trade. (March 12 2020: Since then, I've seen a few articles and a comment from one Saijo fan who believes that Yoshiko is indeed Yoshiko Tanaka, so unless told otherwise, you can consider my last statement apocryphal.)

Summer at last

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.