Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, June 12, 2015

Kozo Murashita -- Renga Douri (レンガ通り)


I've always loved that cover on Kozo Murashita's(村下孝蔵)"Utabito ~ Song Collection"(歌人〜ソングコレクション〜......Poet)...so very innocent and Japanese.


From that first BEST compilation (1984) by the late singer-songwriter, I came across the lovely "Renga Douri" (Brick Road). He can tenderize any ballad about lost love into a musical filet mignon. At first, I had thought that the song was about some poor fellow pining for some unrequited love, but then the lyrics revealed that it was more of a past love that he was feeling miserable about. The woman in question lived on that old apartment he used to know intimately on that brick road.

Originally released as a track of Murashita's debut album, "Kiteki ga Kikoeru Machi"(汽笛が聞こえる街...The Town Where I Can Hear The Steam Whistle) in July 1980, the ballad is beautiful but probably not the thing to hear just after a breakup. And perhaps a more upbeat tune would have been more apropos for a Friday night, but it's been a good long while since I put up one of his songs, and it's very relaxing to hear some of his old tunes. I also have to say that the video above is really well done and I hope it stays up a good long time (sorry, but it didn't).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.