Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Kyoko Koizumi -- Adesugata Namida Musume (艶姿ナミダ娘)


In the last number of years, I've seen actress Kyoko Koizumi(小泉今日子)snark up the screen playing formidable suffer-no-fools-period executives or mothers, so that at times I have to refer to YouTube to remind myself that she was once one of the most popular 80s aidorus, albeit one with a bit more spunk to her.

A couple of nights ago, one commenter asked me about her 7th single, "Adesugata Namida Musume" (The Girl With The Alluring Tears) from November 1983. The title wasn't familiar to me since I wasn't as big a Kyon-Kyon fan as I have been of Seiko Matsuda(松田聖子)and Akina Nakamori(中森明菜), but when I checked out YouTube, hearing the tune sparked off some memory cells. I must have seen Kyon-Kyon perform the song on old reruns of "The Best 10" or "The Top 10". And the commenter's indication of the lyric "Darling, darling, darling my love" as sung by her pretty much sealed the deal in terms of my old memories.


"Adesugata Namida Musume" may have been released late in 1983 but it does sound like a summer song with that burst of aidoru liveliness. Both lyricist Chinfa Kan(康珍化)and composer Koji Makaino(馬飼野康二)can be thanked for that. I think Kan's words rather helped Kyon-Kyon's delivery in giving that pop to the song and that imagery of a young lady whose lachrymal output could bring men to their knees. Meanwhile, Makaino provides a melody that starts off sounding a bit like a techno aidoru kayo but then also brings in that battery of horns which reminds me somewhat of Anri's(杏里)tunes at around the same time.

The song managed to peak at No. 3 on Oricon and later became the 48th-ranked song for 1984, selling approximately 350,000 records as one of the representative aidoru songs of the time. At the Japan Record Awards for 1983, though, "Adesugata Namida Musume" won Koizumi a Golden Aidoru Prize.


1 comment:

  1. Yeah, this song has some Techno Kayo style to it.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.