Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Yumi Tanimura -- Santa wo Mukae ni Iku Yoru(サンタをむかえに行く夜)


This is one of those hot-chocolate-with-a-marshmallow type of Xmas songs by Yumi Tanimura(谷村有美). "Santa wo Mukae ni Iku Yoru" (The Night I Went To See Santa) was composed by the singer-songwriter and written by Mitsuko Shiramine(白峰美津子)as the coupling song to Tanimura's 11th single from November 1991, "Eien no Hajimari"(永遠のはじまり...Eternal Beginning).

No matter which song she has created and sung, I've always noticed that child-like clarity in her voice that sets her apart from other singers. I couldn't have asked for a better song than this one, then, for her. Especially when she hit that supremely high note for "...holy night" near the end of "Santa wo Mukae ni Iku Yoru", that wasn't a peak reached by a soprano in an opera; that was definitely more of an innocent kid in a choir. I actually came across the song when I picked up her December 1991 mini-album "White Songs" which was less a Xmas album and more of a release under the theme of winter. I found it in one of the bargain bins at my old Nakano haunt of Recomints one day.



As a bit of a bonus, here is Tanimura's rendition of "White Christmas" by Irving Berlin with accompaniment by fusion band Casiopea(カシオペア).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.