Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, February 1, 2016

Hachiro Kasuga -- Wakare no Hatoba (別れの波止場)


The moment I saw the "Wakare no" in Hachi's "Wakare no Hatoba", I wasn't too thrilled at the prospect of listening to it. Instincts told me that it would be similar to the First Enka Singer's hit, "Wakare no Ippon Sugi" (別れの一本杉) - sluggish and melancholic with a heavy atmosphere. While I don't mind the latter, I have to admit that I'm still not as excepting of the slow enka. If at all, under normal circumstances, it'll take me a while to warm up to it. But I gave in as the gnawing curiosity got the better of me. I checked out that video up there and was I surprised to hear something that's jauntier and about twice as fast as "Ippon Sugi". Even Hachiro Kasuga's (春日八郎) warbling sounded more lighthearted. I took a liking to it immediately.

While "Wakare no Hatoba" features your typical enka topic of lovers parting, this time at a wharf, Tetsuro Fujima's (藤間哲郎) lyrics feel more positive as our couple here are trying to make the most out of their last night together by taking a walk down and around their usual haunt by the sea, starting with the man comforting his lady who seems all too sad to see their relationship end. Wonder if he's putting on a brave front. Composing this song was Yo Maki (真木陽).

(Hiroshi Itsuki's performance)

"Wakare no Hatoba" was released in 1956 as Kasuga's 23rd single. Though I don't think it was as successful as "Ippon Sugi", it seems like "Hatoba" might have been well received, and I see many videos of this song on YouTube so that must account for something, right?

billboard-japan.com/goods/detail/180568

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Noelle.

    This was quite the jaunty little tune and I have to say that I liked the arrangement for the top video better since there was that key shift just before the refrain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi J-Canuck.

      I too prefer the arrangement in the first video. It's fuller, more modern, and it makes "Wakare no Hatoba" a little more dramatic.

      By the way, I checked out the ejje.weblio.jp site. Trying to figure stuff out there as of now, but it definitely looks useful. Thanks!:)

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.