Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, October 24, 2016

Miho Nakayama -- Leave Me Alone


(excerpt only)

Continuing the exploration of early Miho Nakayama(中山美穂), I found this earlier collaboration between the late 80s aidoru and City Pop singer-songwriter Toshiki Kadomatsu(角松敏生)called "Leave Me Alone" from her 3rd album "Summer Breeze" from July 1986. With a title like that, Kadomatsu just had to contribute at least one track. In fact, he provided two more songs for the album, including the Miporin hit "You're My Only Shinin' Star" as the final song.

In contrast to the epic ballad that is "You're My Only Shinin' Star", "Leave Me Alone" is this bass-heavy thumper that stomps across the soundscape like a couple of Gundam legs. As soon as I heard it, I just knew that it was a Kadomatsu creation. It certainly helped that Kadomatsu provides some backing vocals as well, and perhaps that guitar solo. Plus there is that nice sax.

As for the album, "Summer Breeze" hit No. 8 on the charts. Perhaps it may become a future purchase but it's kinda too bad that Miporin looks like she swallowed a bad pickle on the cover.


2 comments:

  1. Hi, J-Canuck.

    "Leave Me Alone" is one of my favorites when it comes to Miporin's early songs. It's somewhat funky, but a little bit melancholic as well.

    I find interesting how many of her albums had this mixture of aidoru with City Pop, which was something more mature than what other aidoru were doing at the time. Besides "SUMMER BREEZE", "EXOTIQUE" and "CATCH THE NITE" (this one produced entirely by Kadomatsu) were also great albums with this kind of sound.

    Fortunately, her albums were remastered and reissued last year. I'd love to buy some of them, but I'll have to wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Marcos.

      I'm gradually discovering how interesting Miporin was with her music in her early days. She must have really stood out among the many aidoru at the time, especially with Toshiki helping her out. I guess after Anri, he must have chosen Miho as his next project.

      It's also getting to that time for me as well to think about which CDs to get before the end of the year. But yeah, I gotta be careful about not going overboard with the finances. :)

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.