Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Masa Takagi -- Suri Garasu (すりガラス)


Still enjoying the works of this mystery lady (at least to me) who I only discovered thanks to this blog. Of the singles that I've covered for singer-songwriter Masa Takagi(高木麻早)thus far on "Kayo Kyoku Plus", I have yet to be steered wrong.

And so I'm also enjoying the down-home strumming of "Suri Garasu" (Frosted Glass). Her 5th single from August 1975, it kinda straddles that line between folk and regular kayo as Takagi sings her creation's wistful look into the past whether it be through the usual talismans of a faded photograph, a worn-out guitar or an old sweater. The song stands out from my impressions of 1970s kayo: enka, aidoru and even New Music. Takagi seems to be reminiscent of early Miyuki Nakajima(中島みゆき)and the recently departed Lily (りりィ) in terms of a guitar-driven song clopping along at a goodly tempo. Plus, there is the singer's voice which sounds ideal for Mood Kayo but instead of the izakayas of Tokyo, she's doing her thing out in the fresh air of the countryside.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.