Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, January 16, 2017

World Order -- Have A Nice Day


It was definitely nice getting back to Tokyo again in late 2014. As I've said before, the city is a great place to take a walk during the year...excepting the dog days of summer. There are a lot of interesting neighbourhoods and because of the somewhat more relaxed zoning regulations, even the local areas can be packed with flavour. Walk along the sidewalk, you can come across a dry cleaners squeezed in between a tonkatsu eatery and a toy store specializing in Gundam figures.


But just to divert from the conversation a bit, the above fellow is former mixed martial artist Genki Sudo(須藤元気). I was never a fan of MMA but his face rings a bell and I figure it's because he has also been a fairly familiar face on Japanese television as a tarento. I guess I can also call him a Renaissance man of sorts because he is also an actor, a singer, a choreographer, an author, a representative for an English conversation school and even a sommelier. My impression is that in all likelihood I've seen him participating on that Arashi(嵐)game show "VS Arashi".


What I hadn't been aware about was that Sudo had also created his own unique band called World Order in 2009. I caught one of their videos today and it was for their December 2014 song "Have A Nice Day". Their schtick was that the former MMA fighter and his crew made like sober-suited automatons doing some cool and comic routines in some of the famous areas of Tokyo. It's tourism with a twist! And any video showcasing parts of the megalopolis will always be welcome with me.


Sudo wrote and composed this nifty technopoppy tune, and although I think it needs the video to be really fun, I was kinda reminded of Denki Groove(電気グルーヴ)since those fellows also have a sense of humour with their music and videos as well.

I have read the comments from YouTube that World Order ought to have their time in the sun (or under the stars) at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics Opening Ceremonies. That wouldn't be a bad idea at all. However, Sudo resigned as the lead vocalist back in October 2015 and is now helping World Order on the production side of things. Perhaps, though, he can be persuaded to put on the suit and glasses one more time for the team.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.