Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, December 24, 2017

Masayuki Suzuki -- I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus


Well, we're less than 24 hours away from Xmas here. But of course, in Japan, it's already the 25th so Merry Xmas to my old friends over there.


As I was mentioning yesterday, I was wondering whether Masayuki Suzuki(鈴木雅之)had ever come out with his own Xmas single. I did encounter this YouTube video by uploader ayatin M of Martin giving his distinctively Martinesque spin on a Xmas classic "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus", otherwise known in Japan as "Mama ga Santa ni Kiss Shita"(ママがサンタにキッスした).

According to ayatin M, it was most likely one of the 2011 episodes and sure enough I was able to find out through J-Wiki that the song was included on his second album of cover songs "DISCOVER JAPAN" from September of that year that got as high as No. 18 on Oricon. The Japanese lyrics were provided by Kenji Sazanami(漣健児), the pen name of the former chairman of Shinko Music Entertainment Shoichi Kusano(草野昌一).

Of course, having that snarky streak inside me, every time I've heard the title or the song, my response has often been "I Later Saw Daddy Assaulting Santa Claus". Anyways, to all of the "Kayo Kyoku Plus" readers everywhere, have a Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas J-C ! And yes, that song always creeped me out as a kid - some strange form of adult cosplay. Ugh. Besides KFC and the trees/decorations (both of which I saw nearly 2 months ago) do Japanese (in general) do the whole gift-giving and Santa belief-system (Coke CMs aside)? Wishing you, yours, and all readers a Merry Christmas! Although after 62 of them - and still no pony - I'm not optimistic ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, T-cat and Merry Xmas!

      Yeah, I guess things were a whole lot more innocent back then. The Japanese are all in when it comes to the Santa thing...not sure about the gift-giving, though. I know that Fujiya does volume business with their cakes and cookies.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.