Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, December 2, 2017

Omurice


Well, Dan and I got our nighttime Gundam fix out of the way. We figured that we could stick around Odaiba and walk some of that hefty tonkatsu lunch off from earlier in the day. So we did so. However, one fly in my ointment was that my right knee was giving me conniptions. I rather felt like a veteran baseball player getting injured two-thirds of the way through the season. Therefore, I cried "Uncle!" and we both decided to take a break for at least 30 minutes right beside a vending machine in the VenusFort complex.


While I was recuperating and talking about old times with Danny, I put in the coins to get this intriguing substance called Premium Morning Tea which is supposed to taste like Iced Milk Tea, a popular drink (I certainly was a huge fan back in my Tokyo days) in Japan. This particular version was completely clear. Memories of Clear Coke and Clear Pepsi were brought back to the surface. Mind you, the concept of invisible milk tea should have terrified me but at the time, I was exhausted and my knee was killing me. Furthermore, if I'd had my eyes closed and drank the stuff, I wouldn't have guessed that it was clear. It truly did taste like my beloved Iced Milk Tea....perhaps that observation should be terrifying YOU.


In any case, this article for Tokyo 2017 isn't about Clear Premium Morning Tea. For one thing, I doubted very much that I would be able to find an appropriate song to link it with.

After that rest, I was able to walk more normally without limping too badly and then we decided to get something relatively light for dinner. Unfortunately, we couldn't find anything on that level in Odaiba...apparently, folks in the Tokyo Bay area like their dinners heavy. However, we weren't going to give up and so we decided to hit the shopping mall Aqua City and after some looking, we rested again in a place called Pomme's. As you can see in the display above, you can figure out that the restaurant specializes in omurice (rice omelette).


Not sure how it's been received in other parts of the world outside of Japan, but omurice is still relatively unknown in Toronto at least, despite the fact that we've just gone through a major ramen-and-izakaya boom here. Perhaps its time is still in the offing but also maybe the majority of folks in my burg may not cotton too fondly for ketchup fried rice under a blanket of runny omelette.

In any case, I went for the Chicken Nanban version as you can see at the very top and just above. In retrospect, I'm quite surprised that I was able to finish it off at all but maybe having the bum knee gave me that impetus to nourish my body and soul.


Plus, having a glass of mango milk didn't hurt, either. My only question was why anyone would put lemon slices on an omelette.


Well, here's the song of the article, Chisato Moritaka's(森高千里)"Rockin' Omelette"(ロックン・オムレツ).

2 comments:

  1. Hi again. Dang, that milk tea messes with my brain.

    I hope your knee's better. I can quite understand your pain as, occasionally, especially when it's awfully humid, my joints in my arm or leg hurt. It's seen as an aged person thing and many find it odd that I have this problem, but it is what it is and it can HURT.

    Omu-rice seems to be rather well-recieved in Singapore, maybe because it's exotic and the Japanese version of the Malay/Thai fried rice wrapped in a paper-thin omelette. Besides the restaurants that have expanded here from Japan, there are local joints that attempt to make Japanese omu-rice. Can't say I'm a fan of it as they usually use garlic rice instead of ketchup fried rice (THE HORROR).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Noelle.

      Yes, it's OK now but I think it's gonna be a chronic thing at my age. Just something that I'm gonna have to deal with for the rest of my life.

      I've got Xmas parties coming up starting from the end of this week with one of the venues being an izakaya. I will have to see if omurice is finally on the menu there.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.